rainforestpower Headline Animator

Monday, March 3, 2008

Brazil Through Foreign Eyes

Meet Jack Hurley from the USA who has both visited Brazil and spent some time as an exchange student. Read the following interview in which he tells us about some of his most memorable experiences from Brazil and gives some useful advice to newcomers.

1. Tell us a little about yourself, where are you from, what do you do etc.?

I was born in Michigan but have lived in Alexandria, Virginia most of my life. I work for a consulting company and provide federal financial services in Washington, DC.

2. When did you arrive in Brazil and what brought you here?

This could be a long one... My first trip was in May 1999 when I visited my brother who was serving as an exchange student in a small town in Minas Gerais called Manhua�u. Although a short trip (two weeks), I knew I wanted to return again, which I did, in the summer of 2001 as an exchange student in the same town as my brother.

My dad started the tradition as he was the first exchange student in the same town (Manhua�u) over 36 years ago.

3. What were you first impressions of Brazil?

The people. The people were so kind and welcoming. Even though I could not understand them and they could not understand me, I still felt accepted and think of Brazilians generally as an open arm (abra�os abertos) culture.

4. What do you miss most about home?

I‘m still in the U.S. so what I would miss most of Brazil would be the aforementioned warmth of the people as well as the food (I could eat rice and beans everyday), natural juices, and unique music (samba, funk, forro).

5. What has been your most frustrating experience in Brazil?

It was frustrating being patient with learning the language. I knew it would not happen all in one day, but I wished it did.

6. What has been your most memorable experience in Brazil (specific incident)?

Probably, getting engaged (recently) to my Brazilian girlfriend of 2+ years. Although, we did not celebrate the event with family or friends, it was a moment I had been waiting for for years. And, I assume she felt the same way (at least I hope she did, haha).

Visiting the Amazon would be a close second.

7. What do you most like about Brazil (in general)?

Again, the people. I also liked the difference in geography throughout the country. While doing exchange, I was fortunate enough to travel to the beautiful beaches of the northeast of Brazil, to the Amazon rainforest, to the Igua�u Falls in the south. Most people come on vacation to hit the tourist spots such as Rio and S�o Paulo, but I still remember mental images of the plains and highlands of Chapada Diamantina and beautiful caves with hidden lagoons untouched by sunlight. These, I believe, are Brazil‘s true treasures.

8. What is your favorite restaurant/place to hang out here?

I preferred going out with friends to local bars on the main street. And since it was a small town, there were few places to go anyways. That, and I liked to spend time at my fianc�e‘s farm where it was tranquil and there were lots of fresh fruit.

9. Do you have any funny stories/incidents to tell about your time in Brazil?

One night, I was sleeping on the top floor of an old house and it was pitch black. I started hearing something moving over my head quickly and as I sat up in the bed, the thing hit me right in my head. I turned on the light quick enough to see and capture the beast that hit me - a bat.

Not that this couldn‘t happen where I live, but I thought it was funny anyhow.

10. What difference between your homeland and Brazil do you find most striking?

At least in the smaller cities of Brazil, things are more laid back and less stress than here. People seem to take time to enjoy life and often come home to have lunch with the family. That and the fact that there seems to be a holiday for a saint just about every week, which is probably related to the less rushed feel of everyday life in Brazil.

11. How is your Portuguese coming along? What words do you find most difficult to pronounce/remember or are there any words that you regularly confuse?

My Portuguese was much closer to fluent 6 years ago when I lived there, but it is natural to forget some of it as the years pass anyways. Still, I visit at least once or twice every year or two so I can still hold a conversation easily.

Some words are hard to pronounce. It took me forever to learn how to say trabalhar correctly (and I probably still don‘t know how to). Also the difference between grandpa and grandma in Portuguese keeps me guessing. That, and I‘ve gotten in trouble saying coconut instead of faeces.

12. What advice do you have for newcomers to Brazil?

Truly experience the country, its people, and the culture. If there for a long enough period, visit the non-tourist spots because you can easily spend weeks in different parts of the country. Also, try to learn the language which is easier done living with a host family in a smaller city or town with less gringos. Finally, have no regrets. I made that my mission when I went there as an exchange student and it can be applied on a daily basis.

13. What are some things that you would recommend for a visitor to do in S�o Paulo (or anywhere else in Brazil)?

Visit non-tourist spots. Try Chapada Diamantina, historic Ouro Preto in Minas Gerais, Pantanal, etc. If going on vacation, try beaches in the northeast such as Recife, Salvador (apparently a great place for Carnival), Fortaleza instead of the postcard beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema. While in cities, experience local or regional music. Music such as ax� is popular in the Northeast whereas good funk and samba can be found in S�o Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. Forro is a good dance to learn to. Finally, stick away from food you are comfortable with. No more burgers or pizza. Really try the natural juices, Guarana Antartica (national soda), brigadeiros (chocloate), and rice and beans. Give cachacha a try if you like the hard stuff or caipirinha for a great mixed drink. You just can‘t beat it.

http://www.gringoes.com/articles.asp?ID_Noticia=2080

No comments: